8 Serious Electrical Problems That You Should Call An Electrician To Fix Right Away | Grapevine, TX

8 Serious Electrical Problems That You Should Call An Electrician To Fix Right Away | Grapevine, TX

Many homeowners make the grave mistake of following the instructions of a video tutorial when they encounter electrical problems in their homes. Most of these tutorials promise to help you get the issue solved like a pro, but nothing is farther from the truth and the reality is that you may cause more damage than good, even if the immediate problem is apparently resolved. Let’s face it, electricity is dangerous and not contacting a licensed professional to fix the fault can lead to damage that will be much more expensive to fix later on. Even worse, working on an electrical problem when you haven’t been trained to do so can lead to burns, electrical shock, fire, and even death. In some places, working on electrical issues yourself, when you don’t have a proper license, can be illegal and can lead to the invalidation of your home’s insurance policy. To avoid any unwanted problems, read on to find out when you should call an electrician in Grapevine, TX.

1. Your Circuit Breaker Is Constantly Tripping

This is one electrical problem you should never ignore. Having your circuit breaker trip once in a while is quite normal, but when it happens constantly it can be a sign of something being very wrong. A tripping circuit breaker can usually be explained by an overloaded system, which happens when many devices are in use at once. Another reason for this is a short circuit located somewhere along your system. The solution may be something as simple as upgrading the circuit breaker or replacing the faulty wire, but regardless of how it can be fixed, you are going to need an electrician to fix it right away or you may end up having to deal with the ravages of an electrical fire.

2. You Smell Something Burning But Can’t Figure Out Where It’s Coming From

It can happen that there’s a burning smell wafting through one or more of the rooms in your home, but, no matter how much you search for the source you simply can’t find it, and if you do, you find the smell is coming from behind a wall. When this happens you should turn off your home’s power right away and call in a licensed electrician, because a short circuit can be causing the problem and could become a fire hazard that could severely damage your property at any moment.

3. Your Main Service Panel Looks Deteriorated

Few people realize the importance of their home’s main service panel, but it is essentially the “heart” of their property’s electrical system. If you notice any signs of rust and deterioration of it you should call an electrician to repair or replace it before the problem gets much worse.

4. One Or More Of Your Outlets Feel Hot

When an outlet feels hot or warm to the touch it could be an indication of a much larger problem, including faulty wiring or overloaded circuits. The best thing to do at that moment is whether the outlet heats up when a certain device is in use, which means that you may have to have a dedicated circuit installed for it. Regardless of the reason, only an electrician can determine why an outlet is feeling hot and what can solve the problem that is causing the condition.

5. Your Home Is More Than 20 Years Old

If your home is older than 20 years, it is very likely your electrical system is just as old and hasn’t ever been upgraded. It also means that it was installed under different standards, which can become a problem for different reasons, including not being grounded, and unable to handle more modern appliances, two issues that could cause electrical shocks, short circuits, and fire. In this case, your best bet is to call an electrician to inspect your electrical system and plan an overhaul and upgrade if needed.

6. Your Light Bulbs Burn Out After A Short Time Or They Flicker

These days, LED light bulbs last longer than the traditional incandescent ones, but when they burn out after only a short period of use or flicker constantly, you may be experiencing a problem with the socket or a specific circuit. While it’s easy to change the light bulb that is giving you grief, it is not a permanent solution, which, if allowed to continue, can result in a problem that may be more expensive to fix. In order to ensure the safety of your family and property, always call an electrician to repair the problem.

7. You Often Experience Electrical Shocks

Has it ever happened that you touch a light switch and inadvertently receive an electrical shock or maybe laid your hand against your fridge and your hair stands on end? While the shock you feel may be minor and the pain fades quickly, this is one problem you should never ignore, because it is a sign of an electrical leak from the circuit. These types of leaks can lead to fires, so turn off the switch and call an electrician right away in order to prevent severe damage to your house.

8. There Are Sparks Coming From Your Outlets

Seeing sparks coming from an outlet is always a cause of concern because it is a sure sign that something is wrong with your home’s electrical system. While there are many reasons for this to happen, only a licensed professional electrician can detect and solve the issue.

We live in a day and age in which electricity is the heart of our daily lives. Because of this, we can sometimes forget how dangerous it can be. If not handled property it can result in serious injuries and even death, which is why, when you have to solve an electrical problem in your home or office in Grapevine, TX you should always call in the pros at Tioga Plumbing & Electric to schedule an appointment for an inspection and the repair of any electrical problems you may be having at your home in Grapevine, TX. So, whether it’s flickering light bulbs or a sign of an electrical fire, don’t hesitate any longer and call Tioga Plumbing & Electric today!

Photo By Andrey_Popov at Shutterstock