A confused bird, an errant football, or a hailstorm; all of them are enough to break a glass window with no trouble. A sliding glass door or a single-pane window glass is always an aesthetic and pleasing addition to your home structure. The single-pane window glass not only lets the sunlight lighten your room, but also lets you have a fantastic view of your lush green garden, especially when they open onto a patio.
Speaking of which, it is an undeniable fact that people take the single-pane glass window to be a security risk. This is obvious because the glass panes are an easy point of access to anyone who intends to break it and enter. They are most vulnerable to breaking. Similarly, a glass window can easily be lifted up and off the track just in the case it is not installed properly or securely.
This ordeal does not only put us at risk. It also requires us to bear the expense of glass repair in Dallas. While a single-pane window glass needs good skills, a lot of patience and some precautions to install, you may be right in thinking of leaving this task to a professional, especially in the case when the glass panes are large and heavy.
However, if you are thinking of taking up the task all by yourself, then let us first discuss the glass repairing steps and the tips right from the professionals of glass repair in Dallas.
A step-by-step guide of a single-pane window glass repair in Dallas by a professional
Most people take the glass repair in Dallas as a fairly easy job. However, what they usually neglect is the fact that professionals exist for a reason. To further clarify this, let’s have a look at the step-by-step guide of a single-pane window glass repair by a professional and know the crucial steps that a layperson might fail to follow while patiently attempting the task as a DIY project. This may be as basic a step as wearing work gloves and safety glasses while performing the glass repair in Dallas.
- Remove each broken glass shard from the window frame. Do it by laying a towel on the glass and stay safe from the sharp edges of broken glass by wearing thick gloves. Save any one of the shards to match with the replacement glass accurately.
- Always wrap the broken shards in some newspaper or use a bag or a container to dispose of.
- It’s time to assess the size of the window pane opening and to order a replacement pane. However, professionals of glass repair in Dallas always subtract 1/8-1/16 of an inch from the width and length as an exact measurement of the replacement pane.
- If the window frame is either metal or vinyl, then pull out the clips with the help of pliers or screwdrivers and move to step 10.
- In the case of a wooden frame, remove the glazing compound with the use of a putty knife. Heat the area before you scrape and remove gradually to avoid damaging the window frame.
- It’s time to sand the frame and clean the area. Apply oil (linseed) to the frame and use a paintbrush to apply the coat. This will help in cementing the glazing compound, making it pliable as you fix the new glass pane.
- Also, to make good cushioning for the new pane, professionals of glass repair in Dallas apply the glazing compound (thin layer) around the frame using a glazing tool. However, make sure the compound IS of the dough thickness.
- Now place it in the replacement glass in the wooden frame. However, in the case of vinyl or metal, you need to reinsert the vinyl splines or spring clips. Always press the glass firmly and avoid using corroded clips.
- In the case of a wooden frame, use the glazier tool and put in the glazier’s point. This is done into the corner while holding the pane in place. The glazier’s points are inserted around the glass (every 4 inches). Also, it important to drive them firmly into the wood with the help of a glazing tool.
- Up to the thickness of a pencil, knead the compound into the strips. The compound should be placed around the boundary of the newly installed pane. Also, press them in place (between frame and pane) with the help of fingers.
- Once done, the professionals of glass repair in Dallas tend to apply the linseed oil coat on the blade of glazing tool to smoothen out the layer of glazing compound. It should be done with one stroke, that is by holding the tool in a corner (45 degrees) and sliding it towards the opposite corner. However, you have to be careful in spreading the glazing compound in a way that is visible on the window pane.
- Last but not the least, let the glazing compound settle and cure for at least a week and then paint them the way you like it to be.
Following the guide above, make sure you let the newly-installed window set for at least and about 24 hours before raising/lowering it. Professionals recommend the steps that are based on experience; therefore, they recommend getting the pane of the glass cut from the glass store in order to match the specifications precisely and perfectly. Also, to remove the shards of glass from a large windowpane, they recommend doing it by laying the window frame flat on the ground. This will help to ensure greater safety and control while performing the task.
Hence, it is obvious that it is better if some jobs were left to the professionals. If you are located in Dallas and are planning for a glass repair in Dallas, hire Tioga Contractors straightaway! Their professional team of experts offers the best service in town. Also, you can also avail their 24 hours a day, 365 days a year emergency service and consultancy. It’s the repairing solution that perfectly resonates with your repair need.