If you are like most homeowners it is highly likely you aren’t worried about your electrical system and tend to ignore it until any potential problems start causing you grief. But, instead of taking electricity for granted, you should be aware that every time you turn on a lamp or use your microwave or other appliances you are placing stress on your home’s electrical wiring, and if it is too old or there is damage that has gone undetected you are very possibly causing your system to overload. When your electrical wiring is continuously overloaded it can become a threat to your family and property, causing untold damage to your property and injuries and even death to your family. Before this happens, you should call an electrician to inspect your system and repair or replace any issues, in order to keep your family and property safe. Let’s take a look at the warning signs that point to your home’s electrical system becoming a threat to your home and family in Arlington, TX.
You Notice Frayed Wires
Over time, electrical wires tend to fray or crack. They can also become damaged by heat, corrosion or constant bending, as well as torn or nicked by any nails and screws you put into your walls without taking adequate precautions. Damaged electrical wires are always a sign of potential trouble because they can lead to overheating and fire. Additionally, they can cause an electrical leak which can result in having to pay a higher power bill every month. Regardless of the cause, frayed wires should always be repaired or replaced by a professional electrician in order to avoid injuring yourself in an attempt to do so.
Your Outlets Feel Hot or Looked Scorched
In a perfect world, all the electrical outlets and light switches in your home will feel cool when you touch them. But if they don’t or you can see scorch marks on them, it is a certainty there is a problem with your home’s electrical wiring. This type of issue can be the result of improperly installed wires or old or damaged wiring. Regardless of the cause of the problem, and specifically in the case of hot or scorched outlets, it is necessary for you to call an electrician to evaluate and solve the problem before it causes an electrical fire that destroys your home and places your family’s lives at risk.
Your System’s Circuit Breakers Trip Constantly
One of the most annoying electrical problems you could be dealing with when your home’s system is failing is tripping circuit breakers. When it happens occasionally, it probably doesn’t mean anything, but when it happens constantly or when you turn on certain appliances, there is a high possibility that your circuits are overloaded. When this happens you should call a licensed professional electrician to evaluate the problem and perform any required upgrades or repairs before your appliances are damaged beyond repair or your property is placed at risk for fire.
There Is Smoke Coming Out of Your Outlets
You don’t have to be an expert to know smoke is never a good sign, especially if it’s coming from your electrical outlets, light switches, appliances or the baseboard of your walls. If you see or smell smoke inside your home, you must immediately turn off the main circuit breaker and call a licensed electrician to help you identify the source of the problem and perform any necessary repairs. Otherwise, you may end up having to evacuate a burning home in the middle of the night.
Your Light Bulbs Are Presenting with Variations in Brightness
The only reason for your light bulbs to dim is if you use a special dimmer. If this happens when you turn on your washer or microwave, it means your electrical system is overloaded and could become a fire hazard. In order to make sure you and your property are safe from potentially dangerous electrical overloading, you should call an expert to verify if there is a problem and make any necessary repairs.
The Connections to One or More Electrical Outlets Feel Loose
Due to normal wear and tear the connections that lead to your electrical outlets, light switches, and even between wires can become loose. While your switch plates and outlet covers may look just fine, loose connections can become a potential source for dangerous conditions. In any case, it is always a good idea to call an electrician to inspect any problems with loose connections in order to prevent any future issues that could be more expensive to fix.
Mice and Other Vermin Have Chewed on Your Wires
Mice, squirrels and other rodents look cute and cuddly, but when they start invading your home and chewing on your wires they can cause a problem that could end up burning down your home. If you spot any of these critters in your home or find their droppings, you should call in a professional electrician. They will inspect all of your home’s electrical wiring and replace any sections that have been damaged. This is especially necessary in the spring if you had some of these unwanted guests moving into your attic during the cold winter months.
You Hear Crackling or Buzzing Sounds
Just like smoke, buzzing, crackling or other similar noises coming from appliances, switches or even through the walls, are never a good sign. As a matter of fact, it is such a serious problem that you should turn off the power in your home and call in a professional as soon as possible. There are many reasons for this to happen, but if left unattended it will probably end up in expensive damage to your property.
Electricity and electrical installations are not something you should fool around with if you don’t have the training to do so. Even though it is understandable for you to want to fix your Arlington, TX home’s electrical problems yourself, thinking you could save money by doing so, the reality is that you could end up getting hurt, causing damage to your property and spending much more than you would have if you had called in a licensed electrician from the get-go. So, if you are looking for the best electrician in Arlington, TX to fix all of your home’s electrical problems before they become a threat to your family and property, don’t hesitate and give Tioga Contractors a call today!
Photo By ssuaphotos at Shutterstock