You need electricity all day and night to power your lights, appliances, home security system, HVAC system, and lights. Unfortunately, electrical problems can bring life in your home to a screeching halt and put your home and family at risk. If you experience any of the following electrical issues in your house, you should immediately hire an electrician to prevent the problem from escalating.
#1 The Circuits Trip Often
The breaker box is your electrical system’s brain, and it’s broken up into circuits, and each circuit powers the outlets in your home. It’s normal for a circuit to trip when too many things are plugged into one circuit, and this is a safety feature to prevent an overload that could cause an electrical fire. If a circuit trips frequently, unplugging something could solve the problem, and you should hire a licensed electrician.
They will inspect the breaker box to check for a faulty wire that can start an electrical fire. If there isn’t an issue with the wiring, they’ll determine how many appliances and devices are plugged into the circuit to determine if an overload is to blame. If this is the cause, the tech can upgrade the breaker box so you can run every appliance without worrying about an overload.
#2 Flickering Lights
Do the lights in your house flicker often? If so, you may need to hire an electrician. If the lights only flicker once when you turn on the vacuum cleaner or another appliance or device, there’s no cause for concern. It’s not uncommon for the lights to flicker once when a significant amount of energy is consumed; however, it’s best to hire an electrician if the lights flicker frequently.
Flickering lights indicate an issue that must be addressed immediately to prevent an electrical fire and could be due to a poor connection between the light switch and bulb, loose wiring, a circuit overload, or a voltage change and you’ll need a licensed professional to find the cause and fix it. It’s best to make the call immediately to prevent a disaster from occurring.
#3 Burn Marks on an Outlet
One electrical problem that should never be ignored is a burn mark on an outlet. This is often due to arcing, which happens when the parts of your outlet overheat and occurs when a metal part of the outlet becomes loose or damaged. There could also be a wiring issue causing the outlet to get hot and burn.
There’s more to solving this problem than replacing the outlet plate, and you should hire a licensed electrician. They will inspect the outlet to determine why the outlet is burned and make the necessary repair.
Issues that cause burn marks on an outlet can start an electrical fire; therefore, it’s best to address the problem immediately.
#4 Sparks Coming from an Outlet
It’s not uncommon to see a blue spark when you plug or unplug something when it’s still on, and blue sparks are harmless. However, if the outlet produces a long or big spark, it’s best to hire a licensed electrician immediately. The same is true if you see a white or yellow spark.
A few issues can cause these dangerous sparks, including:
- Short circuit: When a hot wire touches a neutral or ground wire, it will cause a short circuit that can start an electrical fire.
- Moisture: A leak in the walls or water splashing in an outlet can result in a short circuit or electrical damage, putting your home and family at risk.
- Overloading: If you have too many appliances and devices plugged into one outlet, it can create a dangerous spark.
- Old outlets: If the outlet is old, it has been used repeatedly, and the electrical contact points inside the outlets can wear out, resulting in significant arcing and creating dangerous sparks.
These issues create a significant fire hazard that will put your home and family at risk, so it’s best to hire a licensed professional as soon as possible. They will repair the problem and determine what caused it, so it doesn’t happen again.
#5 You Don’t Have Enough Outlets and Rely on Extension Cords
If you live in an old house and the electrical system has never been updated, you likely don’t have enough outlets in the house. Old houses weren’t designed to meet the modern electrical demand, and people didn’t have to plug in so many appliances and devices a few decades ago. If you don’t have enough outlets and rely on extension cords and power strips, hiring a licensed electrician is best.
Plugging too many things into one outlet can cause an overload that could start a fire. Also, extension cords are designed for temporary use and create a tripping and fire hazard when used as a permanent solution.
A licensed tech can update the electrical system and install more outlets in each room, ensuring your home and family are safe and you’ll have all the necessary outlets.
#6 A Burning Smell in Your Home
If you smell something burning and can’t find the cause, it could be due to a wiring issue. Burning wire insulation will create a burning smell and escalate to an electrical fire if not addressed immediately. An electrician will find and replace the faulty wire before a disaster occurs.
Call Tioga Plumbing & Electric Today
If you need to hire an electrician, look no further than Tioga Plumbing & Electric. We’re one of the top electrical contractors in the Dallas Fort Worth area and have provided superior service to our customers since 1953.
Our techs are professionally trained and pass background checks and drug tests before they’re hired. So you can feel safe and confident that they can handle the job.
We understand how serious plumbing problems can be, so we provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We’ll get a tech to your house quickly when you call for emergency service, so the problem can be addressed before it escalates, eliminating the fire risk.
To schedule an appointment for electrical service, give Tioga Plumbing & Electric a call or book online.
See our most recent blog on this topic here.
Photo By Jesus Navarro at Shutterstock