Electrician Tips | Bedford, TX

Electrician Tips | Bedford, TX

Photo By patpitchaya at Shutterstock

The electrical system in your home is responsible for powering everything in your home from the lights to the appliances to your gadgets. You also need a properly working electrical system for your heating and cooling system to run. If the system isn’t working correctly, it can make life in the home very difficult and inconvenient. Because of this, it is essential that you are able to recognize the signs that it is time to call an electrician. If you are experiencing any electrical issues, you should never make the repairs a DIY project. Electricity can be very dangerous, and if you don’t make the repair correctly, you risk being electrocuted, or you could cause an electrical fire in the home. Here are a few signs that it is time to call a professional.

#1 The Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

The circuit breaker is your electrical system’s brain. If a circuit breaker trips, it means that the circuit is overloaded. When this happens, you should try unplugging a few of the appliances. If the circuits continue tripping, it is time to call an electrician. There could be a problem in the circuit breaker, and if it isn’t fixed, it could create a fire hazard. The issue could also be that your circuit breaker is too small to power everything in your home. In either case, you will need a professional to make the necessary repairs.

#2 Sparks

If you see electrical sparks coming from an appliance fixture, an outlet, or in the circuit breaker box, you should call a professional immediately. This is a sign that there is something seriously wrong, and it can result in a destructive electrical fire. Sparks are considered an electrical emergency, and you should make the call immediately. It takes just one spark to ignite something near the outlet, resulting in a devastating fire.

#3 Dimming or Flickering Lights

If you turn on an appliance and the lights dim, it is the sign of a serious issue. When the lights dim or flicker, it could mean that the circuit breaker is being overloaded. In this case, a professional would be able to upgrade your circuit breaker box, so that it can handle the amount of electricity that you need. The issue could also be due to a problem with the internal electrical system. If this is a case, you should not try to resolve the issue on your own. It would take a licensed professional to figure out what is causing the problem and then repair it safely.

#4 Hot Outlets and Switch Plates

If you touch the switch plates or outlet in your home and they are warm or hot to the touch, you should call a professional immediately. The heat is likely due to heated wires, which can start a fire if the issue is ignored. If you feel warmth in your switch plate, turn the light off and don’t use it until an electrician can come to your home. If the outlet is warm to the touch, you should unplug anything that is plugged into that outlet, and call a professional immediately.

#5 Moisture or Rust Around the Outlets

If you notice moisture around the outlet, don’t use it. Most people know that water and electricity will result in electrocution. If there is water around the outlet, using it can be incredibly dangerous. Rust around the outlet means that there was water present, which is also a hazard. Merely replacing the outlet cover won’t remedy the problem. You will need to call an electrician to figure out where the water is coming from and repair the problem. This isn’t something that you should try fixing on your own.

#6 Humming or Buzzing Sounds Coming From the Walls

When your electrical system is functioning correctly, you shouldn’t hear a sound. If you hear a humming or buzzing sound within the walls, it is considered an electrical emergency. These sounds indicate that there is an issue with the wiring, and if it is ignored, it can cause an electrical fire that can destroy the entire home. The solution to the problem is likely rewiring, which should only be handled by a licensed electrician. You cannot learn how to rewire your electrical system by watching a video; therefore, you should call a professional immediately.

#7 You Don’t Have Enough Outlets or Three-Prong Plugs

Older houses often have just a couple of outlets in each room. If your home is like this, you might be tempted to use several extension cords. While this may power everything you need in the room, it is a fire hazard. Extension cords allow you to plug multiple appliances and devices into one outlet, which can quickly cause an overload, resulting in an electrical fire. Also, many older homes have just two-prong plugs. You can use an extender to make it a three-prong plug, but using too many is a fire hazard. The best solution to this problem is to call an electrician to upgrade your home’s electrical system. This will make living in the home more convenient, and there will be no risk of a fire.

If you experience any of the issues listed above in your Bedford, TX home, you should call Tioga Plumbing & Electric immediately. Tioga is a family-owned business that has been serving homeowners and business owners in the Bedford, TX area since 1953. All of our electricians are licensed and insured and highly trained in electrical work. We understand that electrical issues can arise at any time of the day or night; therefore, we offer emergency service. We will have an electrician on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, ready to address your electrical issue. Because electricity is incredibly dangerous, you don’t want to wait if you are having a problem. To schedule an appointment with our electrician, give us a call today.