Photo By istock
Homeowners in Euless, TX will always face challenges with their electricity, and the need for a good, quality electrician is never short. There are times when the lights go out, your TV won’t turn on, and there’s no heat due to an electrical failure of some sort. These things and more can happen, and the feeling of coming home to a dark house without lights is enough to spook you.
The professional team at Tioga Plumbing & Electric has the knowledge and expertise needed to deal with common electrical issues such as faulty wiring, replacing outlets and switches, and replacing old, worn out fuses and circuit breakers. These are the very items that we’ve all come to rely on for our home electrical service, and without them, life might be considerably more challenging than ever.
Knowing when a fuse has died is essential, and there are ways you can tell when this has happened. Blown fuses may be a pain, but they shouldn’t be ignored, nor should they be taken for granted. If anything, a fuse is an essential component of your home’s electricity. This is due to the fact that it’s there to protect you and your Euless, TX home from massive electric shock.
Electrical fuses play an essential role in protecting all of your appliances from being damaged in the event that there is too much electricity being used at one time. That’s why they typically blow out when you have too many appliances or electronics drawing electricity from the exact same outlet.
Having your fuses checked can be risky business, and that’s why hiring an electrician for the job is essential. They can give you directions on what to do in order to prepare, and can let you know about ways in which turning off and unplugging all of your appliances can help in the process.
In fact, turning off and unplugging every appliance and electronic is essential in preventing a major electrical surge, which can harm anything that’s plugged in while fuses are being checked and replaced.
When the electrician checks your circuit box for a blown fuse, the evidence should be quite clear. By simply unscrewing the top glass part, the evidence of malfunction should be quite clear. Gaps in the wire or a dark, charcoal-colored smear should be evidence enough that your fuse is blown and needs to be replaced.
Once the fuse has blown, calling an electrician should be one of the first things you do. Keeping a box of extras on hand is a good solution, and that makes it much easier for the electrician to be able to replace them as needed. Although the internet may encourage a DIY method of replacing a busted fuse, this is not something that really should be done alone. The risk of shock and damage to any electrical equipment would be far too great. Therefore, hiring a professional is the better investment.
There are reasons why your circuit breaker fuses may blow. One is when overloading occurs. This happens when the circuit breaker is trying too hard to draw a huge amount of electricity. In this case, it’s because the circuit breaker is trying to take way more electricity than it’s actually capable of doing. This explains why the power goes out suddenly if you happen to be using too many appliances all at once.
A short circuit is another reason for your fuses to blow. In fact, there are two types of shorts: one is a “hard short,” which is the type that occurs when a hot wire touches a neutral one. As a result, a sudden, unexplained power surge occurs, and this could lead to sudden tripping of the system.
Another short that happens is one in which there is faulty wiring involved. This typically occurs inside an appliance and may be tougher to pinpoint. It happens as this appliance seems to require a sudden surge for no reason.
Circuits that trip repetitively may have their origins within your home’s wiring. Repeated power surges run the risk of stressing out your entire electrical system, and wear and tear may result. This can be hard on your wiring and may result in having it replaced down the road. Wherever you see this problem, all you have to do is make a simple phone call to a licensed electrician. They can make an assessment and go from there.
When the hot wire touches a ground wire, a ground-fault short. This is especially dangerous when that same hot wire happens to touch a metal box or wood. This type of short is very dangerous, and perhaps can be deadly, particularly in cases where the wire is exposed to water or other forms of moisture. Severe shock may occur. The outdoors may be a breeding ground of its own, so special caution should be taken in cases where rain or snow may have fallen. Any safety concerns are good to raise with your electrician, who can fully advise you on what to do if this should happen.
Local homeowners should beware of a common danger that’s associated with an electrical short. Think of fire being the direct result of sudden, inexplicable spikes in the power supply. The heat that results is the very element that causes the fire when the increase in electricity use suddenly occurs.
Making a call to your electrician is the best first step towards prevention of such massive hazards. In fact, they can perform a thorough inspection of your home’s electrical system, where they can check to see just how well installed your wires may be. Anything that looks frayed, gnawed at, or just plain worn out should be replaced immediately by a skilled electrician so that your home can reap all the benefits of an excellent and uninterrupted energy flow. Making sure that your home is energy efficient should be another priority in the process.
Your home’s electricity should be safe, affordable, and easy to maintain. So don’t let the lights go out in your home. Simply call or visit Tioga Plumbing & Electric today to schedule an appointment.